Saturday, October 9, 2010

Pumpkin: the perfect fall ingredient.

I love to bake. During the summer and spring I don't do it very much. However, when fall comes, the pumpkins, apples, and other delicious fall produce become too tempting not to create something tasty out of. So, the past two weeks, I have spent my Friday afternoons baking while my grandfather reads. This weekend I've gone a little overboard :) 3 batches of cookies, a loaf of homemade (from scratch) bread, and a breakfast souffle. (He thinks I'm trying to fatten him up before he goes back to Montana :))

I'm currently sitting here writing and eating a slice of the breakfast souffle with my morning (reheated four times) coffee, and let me please tell you that it is so yummy.

Fatfree Vegan Kitchen had a recipe for Coconut-Chai Breakfast Cake that sounded wonderful, however when I was reading over the ingredients, I realized I didn't have some of them, nor did it seem like a very fall-ish thing to make--and since I woke up this morning wanting something pumpkin-y, I decided to improvise. Here's what I came up with:

Pumpkin Coconut Chai Breakfast Soufflé


1/3 cup old fashion oats
1 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup unbleached white flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ginger (use more for a spicier cake)
3/4 cup turbinado sugar

1 ½ cup prepared chai tea latte (I used Trader Joe’s mix in 1 1/2 cups of hot water)
1/3 cup pumpkin
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup flaked coconut

2 tbsp additional flaked coconut for topping


Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.


Combine the dry ingredients (oatmeal, flours, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and sugar) in a mixing bowl.

Add the chai latte, pumpkin, extracts, and the 1/2 cup of coconut. Mix well.

Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle with the 2 tbsp of topping coconut and bake for about 25 minutes, or until a knife comes out of the center clean.

Enjoy! *Also very good with a little Agave nectar drizzled over it.

I hope you enjoy this scrumptious fall flavored breakfast treat!

1 comment: