Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Distraction.




Sunday night before I went to bed, I made a decision to consciously stop thinking about marriage. I am twenty years old (21 in 2 months:)), marriage is not an iminent thing, but as a young woman who loves love, it always seems to be somewhere near the front of my mind.

I want (and need) to become the woman God made me to be. If I continue to let my thoughts and heart be consumed with future dreams, then I'll be too focused on that and not grow into the woman God made me to be.

I was flipping through my planner the other day (it has Bible verses for every day) and came across 1 Corinthians 7:32. So, I opened my Bible and read chapter 7 of 1 Cor.

"I want to be free from the concerns of this life...I want you to do whatever will help you serve the Lord best with few distractions." Both of these verses stuck out especially for me.

Love is a wonderful thing, especially when it's the love of our Heavenly Father. But allowing distractions such as an infatuation with marriage, when it is so clearly not the time, is allowing the devil to do his best work.

I challenge you to think of what distracts you and consumes your thoughts--it could be something as simple as food. Decide to let them go. Give them to God. Give Him your heart, time, thoughts, etc. Let Him work His will.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to have found you:-) I like you already! I struggle with this too sometimes (more times than some). I feel so impatient but it's like you say, giving them to God serves so much more purpose than worrying. It makes me think I shouldn't stress so much and trust God more. Always trust God more. And when I do, there is contentment in my season of life that makes me wonder why I just don't do that all the time! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete